Craniosacral Therapy for Babies & Children
No journey in life can be as challenging as the one that brought us into it.Most births happily have no complications, however in some cases problems can occur and babies have to be helped into the world quickly, by forceps delivery, ventouse extraction or caesarean section, necessary procedures to save their lives.
But as even a natural birth can be traumatic for a baby this can be very stressful for them. Approximately 95% of all newborn babies retain some birth stress.
As the baby travels down the birth canal, the bones of the head overlap to allow room for their passage through. Their head is effectively used as a battering ram to force its way out or used as a lever to be pulled out. So it is not surprising problems can occur.
Many Parents Have Found Craniosacral therapy can help
- Craniosacral therapy IS NOT head massage
- It is the best complementary treatment for babies because it directly releases the effects of the birth process.Midwives and health visitors recognise the benefits and often refer babies to me.
- The treatment is very safe and gentle so your baby will not be harmed
Sometimes during a treatment babies may cry while tensions are released and I realise this can be distressing to parents and give reassurance that their baby is alright.Once the tensions are released their baby then usually relaxes deeply and falls peacefully asleep
Symptoms of Birth Stress
The retained effects of pregnancy/labour and delivery directly cause most problems suffered by babies such as:
- Excessive crying
- Constant screaming
- Poor sleep
- Difficult feeding
- Constant suckling
- Trapped wind
- Acid reflux
- Asthma/Breathing problems
- Crying when laid on their back
- Floppy/rigid baby
- Unresponsive baby
None of these symptoms should be accepted as normal in your baby and craniosacral therapy can almost always relieve them.
What Can Cause These Symptoms
- Shock or stress from the birth
- Twisting/Torticollis of the neck
- Compression of the skull bones
- Head, Neck or Spine pain
- The baby is still in survival mode, "fight or flight syndrome" increasing sympathetic nervous tension
- Post traumatic stress disorder( common in premature babies)
- Problems during pregnancy i.e. threatened miscarriage
- Position of baby during pregnancy
- Trauma of delivery
- Quick/Long labour
- Forceps/Ventouse extraction
- Foetal distress
- Caesarean section
- Post natal procedure - operations, lumbar punctures, cannulae.
How Many Craniosacral Therapy Treatments are Needed?
In an ideal world I would recommend that every baby should have a craniosacral treatment within days of birth, this would help prevent many symptoms developing during babyhood,childhood and later as an adult, such as ear problems, developmental problems,headaches, neck pain and spinal disorders.Thereby preventing a lifetime of adapting to birth.
- Treatment is best given within days of birth and ideally within two weeks, some parents bring each baby along as a matter of course to get them "checked out" and give them the best possible start in life.But it is never too late to make a difference, don't wait for symptoms to arise.
- On average a baby receives at least 3 treatments and you will often notice some differences after just one treatment. After a difficult and complicated delivery and for premature babies more treatments will be needed and it may take a few treatments before you notice significant changes.
- I would then recommend bringing your baby back at regular intervals of 2-3 months for check ups during their first year as they grow.
- After giving birth and coping with a new baby I recommend Mums to have a treatment themselves. This can help your body release stress from adaptations to pregnancy and giving birth. It helps to realign the pelvis and low back, preventing back problems common after birth, this has also been proven to help prevent post natal depression.
Click here to return to Craniosacral Therapy
Please use the Book Now button or telephone 01326 210202 to book an appointment